Williams-Sonoma is synonymous with good living and it happens to be one of my favorite housewares stores. I have been a faithful customer for a number of years now, outfitting my home with fine linen, china, silverware, glassware, cookware, and all sorts of gadgets, because I know I'm buying quality. My very first set of kitchen knives and pots & pans were purchased at Williams-Sonoma and to this day they have served me well. Not only do I love shopping here for my own kitchen and home, but I enjoy doing so for friends & family members celebrating birthdays or weddings. Their wedding registry is very comprehensive and every single store has a special kiosk dedicated to this type of shopping. One can go in there and quickly access this information, making it convenient to shop for weddings. What soon-to-be-married couple wouldn't love getting items from this store?
Mauviel Copper is heirloom quality.
When one enters any Williams-Sonoma, a friendly and knowledgeable sales associate is always there to greet you within minutes. I love that everyone who works at these stores knows their products thoroughly. I've come to rely on their expertise if I'm not familiar with a certain item or if I'm weighing the pros & cons between particular brands. If you're lucky to have a Williams-Sonoma nearby that is one of the larger stores, there will be a large center island outfitted with a commercial kitchen range where staff members and even special guests have the ability to prepare both savory & sweet dishes for the public. Many of their products are tested and used in this environment, so it comes as no surprise that staff members know what they're talking about.
An assortment of products at the entrance.
I realize that several items at this store are rather expensive (premium electrics, knives and certain cookware), but if you compare most products that are found at other stores, you then realize that they're not much more. Whenever I buy something here I know I'm making an investment that is going to last me a number of years. I'm a person that shops for my housewares with this in mind. I don't ever purchase something that is gimmicky or poorly made, because I know it's going to disappoint. Although I do keep in mind what I already have in my kitchen, it isn't absolutely necessary for me to match everything. I don't need to have my toaster matching my pots & pans or coffeemaker. What I think about overall is quality, value & craftsmanship. Is my purchase going to last me only a certain number of years or will it last me a lifetime? Will I have to replace a gadget because it is poorly constructed in a year? Longevity is key for me when it comes to housewares.
A La Cornue Range in the center, Calphalon Pots on the right, and high quality kitchen knives in the background.
Le Creuset Pots. Notice Martha Stewart's American Food Cookbook on the shelf immediately as one enters.
With this in mind, I don't shop for all of my housewares at Williams-Sonoma, but there are some that I would purchase again if I had to start from zero. Below are items I love & recommend from Williams-Sonoma. Many are already in my kitchen and others are those I simply dream about.
- Cookware: Le Creuset (Dutch ovens, griddles, frying pans, trivets & rectangular bakers), All-Clad (I recommend any pan from this company-they're made to last a lifetime), Calphalon (double frittata pan & nonstick fry pans), Mauviel Copper (*sugar pot, the entire product line), Staub (any of their cast iron products), Ruffoni Copper or Stainless (any pot or pan), Nordicware (omelet pan or fry pans).
- Bakeware: Cake Pans (round, square & rectangular), Bundt Pans (they have a good assortment), Baking Sheet Pans, Cookie Sheet Pans, Pie Dishes & Pans, Quiche Pans, Tart Pans (with removable bottoms), Brioche Pans, Charlotte Molds, Bread & Loaf Pans, Muffin Pans (jumbo, standard & mini) and Cookie Cutters.
- Kitchen Electrics: Coffee Makers (regular, espresso & pod), Coffee Grinders, Stand Mixers, Food Processors, Toaster Ovens, Waffle Makers, Panini Presses & Grills, Blenders & Juicers.
- Cutlery: All Brands of Kitchen Knives. Buy what suits your cooking style.
- Cook's Tools & Kitchen Gadgets: Cutting Boards, all Baking & Pastry Tools, Silicone & Metal Spatulas, Stainless Steel Colanders & Strainers, Pastry Boards, Mixing Bowls (Ceramic, Stainless & Tempered Glass), Measuring Cups & Spoons, Microplane Graters, Salt & Pepper Mills, Mortar & Pestle, Thermometers, Kitchen Timers, Kitchen Scales (digital & dial), Vegetable Graters & Peelers, Mandolines.
- Fine China: All Pillivuyt & Apilco China, Buffalo China, Wedgwood, Havilland Limoges (their patterns are beautiful), Royal Copenhagen, Raynaud & Co. Limoges, Bernardaud
- Fine Linens: seasonal prints, hemstitched linen, jacquard linen, boutis, Hotel linens and all runners.
- Silverware: any 18/10 stainless flatware, Laguiole flatware, Hotel Silver and all serving sets.
- Glassware: double & single old-fashioned (crystal & glass), duraclear, all pitchers, *Perigord stemware, *Reidel stemware and Williams-Sonoma brand wineglasses (a good value!).
- Homekeeping: aprons, oven mitts, dish cloths, dish towels, glass & ceramic storage containers, ladders & stepstools, Metro Shelves, Miele vacuums, kitchen islands & carts.
Last but not least is the Williams-Sonoma Catalog. To me, it's always a delight receiving this in the mail because I get to peruse it at my leisure and whet my appetite with new products. I know, I don't need anything else! It's OK, to look though. The seasonal items that are featured always seem to be favorites with customers. Just think of those large chocolate Easter bunnies, or the seasonal pies during summertime. Delicious cakes & pastries can be purchased through the catalog and the assortment during Christmas is worth taking a look at. Visit a Williams-Sonoma near you sometime in the future and let your imagination run wild & your tastes guide you. Compare products and ask lots of questions.
I love that the catalog is introducing Chicken Coops for those of us who want to raise our own chickens. The accouterments for making these portable & varmint proof are provided by Williams-Sonoma.
Beehives are also now being offered too! Smokers, bee gear and glass jars for storing are all available. This is definitely a good thing.
This one is really for me. I know, I don't need another mixer, but this new 7qt. KitchenAid stand mixer is something I'm eyeing very closely. Shhhh, don't tell anyone!
For more information visit Williams-Sonoma.
Have fun shopping.